Open Question to the Community about the wilds

I want to get a sense from as much of the community on this as I can.
Is going in to the wilds to sneak up and kill players involved in in PvE combat or fishing then stealing there bag a jerk thing to do? Not cheating or trolling, just a jerk move.
My gut reaction is that it is, but I really want to know what is the general view of these kind of actions.

Disclaimer: I am not complain about the wild and I am not wanting any changes to the game.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

1 Like

if your in the wilds imo you should expect this as a possible outcome thus not a jerk move… and so you understand im not biased i HATE pvp but still understand this… i personally wouldnt but if someone does it to me id hardly be surprised or mad at them its part of this game.

Slandaro

Not a jerk move. A jerk move is letting friends go out into the wilds alone.

4 Likes

For me it’s not as complicated as jerk or no jerk, it’s simple cause and effect. If a player kills me or my friends, then I have to assume that if I see them in the Wilds again, that they are there to kill me, and I will kill them first. At a later time, if they ask to join my dungeon party, I would probably decline.

8 Likes

The game allows player killing and looting in these areas so it’s definitely not griefing/trolling. But nothing forces you to attack other players either, so in the end it’s up to you to make the choice. Live the bandit life and potentially get free loot, but then you might be ostracized by your previous victims when you meet them again as Fern pointed out.

I wouldn’t call another player a “jerk” for choosing that playstyle though. We need baddies in video games otherwise it would get boring quick. :wink:

6 Likes

Not everything a game allows is automatically ok to do, griefing/trolling is always something which is allowed, else it would not be possible!
I stated my views on pvp in general elsewhere, but even if I was into that I would not want to fight against people much weaker than me or my group who got no choice but to farm there or pay large amounts of drams for resources.
Some go into the wilds to fight players, others don’t want a fight, just hope to survive and get out without meeting anyone I don’t think that’s a good starting point. And now good luck with finding 4 people to guard your fishing, it is much easier to form a pvp group which hunts for loot from farmers.

As for hunting players and the great exciting challenge over pve, I doubt pvp-fans even find an equal match. All you need to do to get loot with zero challenge or skill is to wait until:

• people are in a fight with mobs
  • people are fishing
  • you meet people who don’t fight back (I would not, for example)
  • or simply outnumber players

Some might not mind, but for me, personal, all of these situations would feel like griefing if it happens to me. Really “fair” and challenging 1:1, 2:2 etc. fight (arena-style) will not occur often. Every pve boss is more exciting imho. So I do think this area is rather a reason people will fight on the forums over it, until there is an alternate, equal pve content so those not into open world pvp are able to avoid the areas alltogether.

Edit: I tried to explore the wilds with lvl 18 and hey, I am real good in dying without any player involved! So, situation #5 just follow me and pick bag after bag it’s like easter they should be all over the wilds already :smiley:

2 Likes

I feel it is, but gankers have to gank. Its usually the powerless in real life that treat people in a game badly. It seems to be their outlet for frustration. To intentionally cause someone loss, and get joy out of it indicates a disturbed personality, and I would want to avoid them in game and in real life.

7 Likes

I think it’s a matter of attitude. Want free fish? Kill a fisherman. They won’t be happy and you’ll probably be on a sh*t list and make enemies but fair game. If you talk smack/insult said fisherman that violates the CoC and you’ll be in trouble with the big guys upstairs and REALLY disliked.

Edit: The reverse applies. If a killed player insults the killer then they’re breaking the CoC. Pvp isn’t fun for all but mutual respect or at least civility is expected.

6 Likes

its a bit of a jerk thing to do especially if its someone fishing. but things like that can happen in the wilds

Is it a jerk thing to do? Part of the wilds is watching your back. It’s expected someone will capitalize on free stuff. I wouldn’t like it and I’d have guildwide revenge but I wouldn’t think “wow what a jerk” as the zones are made for that purpose.

1 Like

Is it a jerk move to wait for someone to pull an abarition before ambushing them? Yes. But, it’s the wilds, if you go in there expecting carebears to come and try to challenge you to a proper duel of fisti cuffs, you might want to rethink things. I don’t like PVP but I can understand the whole thing.

5 Likes

I’d say it is. But jerks exist, so it’ll pay to consider how to deal with them ahead of time.

The answer is yes. The wilds is a zone that enables players to be real jerks to one another and even gives them the excuse of “well it’s part of the game. No hard feelings. Lol why are you crying?” while I liked the idea of it, after seeing it in practice, I really dislike it. For a game that seems to care ALOT about players treating each other kindly it’s strange that they allow zones for what I consider toxic people to thrive. I can only hope the devs listen and that they never make the wilds a zone that normal people have to go into. (Which currently you can just buy rare mats and get gear from the dungeons.)

6 Likes

I disagree, I guess it’s a matter of opinion. To me, someone is not a jerk that kills you while you are fishing or attacking a mob. Those is the inherent risk and part of the game and what makes the wilds fun. It’s unfortunate people don’t understand that and take offense to it and complain. IMO a jerk is someone that is spawn camping or griefing.

1 Like

I wonder how people would feel about similar situations in a non-PVP context. Like, what if aberrations just straight up grabbed your items and ran away? Or if some aberrations assisted nearby aberrations when they’re attacked?

What if some aberrations didn’t attack at all, but had really good drops? Or if aberrations attacked each other sometimes?

This topic is quite the hot button issue. However I’d like to point out to everybody to please remember: Nobody is trying to convince you to be “Pro-Open World PVP” or “Pro-Structured Only PVP” or “PvE Purist” we’re just arguing the impact that the wilds has from a social aspect and as a game mechanic. The risks of entering the wilds is made very very apparent upon entering the wilds. Everything out here is a danger: Mobs and Players alike.

Mobs don’t think twice about attacking you out here and making you drop your stuff. They just have a more predictable behavior so they aren’t considered “unfair” or “jerks” it’s just AI I can out smart it. Players present a wild card scenario. You have no idea what’s going to happen with them. They’re smart, creative, and possibly deceitful. However, that doesn’t make them any different from the mobs out there. They can kill you all the same and make you lose your stuff all the same. So stop looking at players in the Wilds as though they are different from the aberrations patrolling the area. If you’re out there trying to fish or gather then be aware of your surroundings and take evasive actions necessary if you don’t intend to engage in any combat.

TL;DR:
They’re not being jerks, because you both signed the agreement to risk your loot when you entered the wilds. Do not rationalize that because a player has free will and self-awareness that they will be different from a roaming mob of aberrations. The danger is real and you need to stay aware of it.

7 Likes

I felt like you Winston, but then when people started actually start doing it they would take offence to being called a bad guy. They would say “It is just a game and they were nice guys that didn’t deserve to be called bad guys”. I guess that is where my issue is. That is like sticking the bird at someone then being surprised that there mad.

1 Like

Nobody likes to be attacked or killed so we’ll always perceive our attackers as “the bad guy” regardless of whether they’re doing it in good fun or not. However the way we perceive them is a risk that our attackers have to accept as well! If you’re going to attack somebody, do not expect them to be okay with it later. Don’t feel offended when getting called out on your actions as a bandit. Your reputation is at risk too :slight_smile:

8 Likes

You and I have different ideas of toxic. Yes, I go around seeking easy fights, but neither me nor any UoH I’m aware of is abusive towards our kills. The same can’t be said of people who beat us, who are rarely in good spirits. Understandably so, sure, but my point still stands.

That is part of what annoys me. Acting like a prick then smiling in your victims face. If you are going to be a prick, accept people will treat you as such.

1 Like