Warrior needlessly complicated?

I was looking forward to playing a tank in OrbusVR as I’ve played tanks for the past 12 years. But I just can’t enjoy the class, especially when compared to the others.

One big issue is the no ranged attack. My only means of separating a mob from the group around it is walking close enough for it to aggro me, then run away. I can only use the charge maybe 1 out of 10 fights because if I charge the mob, the 3 next to it will aggro. This is especially an issue on mobs like tigers and other mobs that poison as they’ll either break my shield or kill me before I can pull them out of their group to fight them.

The other issue is the regeneration. On the other 3 classes, chances are the mob is dead before it can even hit you, and if it does come to you, they have Pushback, trap or healing. So when I do manage to kill a mob as a warrior, I end up having to wait around 20 seconds to regen before I can fight another.

These are somewhat simple to remedy though, my suggestion would be, since the shield hand trigger isn’t used for anything, tie a ranged attack to it, maybe shield throw or some ranged taunt, and for the regen, it seems like warrior should just simply get way more out of combat regen since it’s the only melee.

4 Likes

I know its not ideal, but you can cast a mage spell and switch to sword before the attack hits and that will pull the mob. Again, not ideal.

1 Like

Really I think each class has it’s pros and cons but I would like to see out of combat cooldowns and regens reduced so that the player can get back into the action faster.

Yeah, cooldowns I could live without even, but it’s the sitting there staring at my HP bar after combat that sucks. Another way to do it would be a regen potion, maybe last an hour and gives you 3x regen out of combat. I can’t see it being very imbalanced since it won’t have any actual affect on combat, just lessen the downtime.

1 Like

As a warrior, most fights can be won by only taking shield damage which regenerates very quickly. The only times a lot of health is missing is when either fighting Spiders, or fighting something that is much tougher than you and cracks your shield mid fight.

A ranged attack though is really needed. There are several things other classes can do that warriors can’t but not being able to pull mobs like everyone else in the game hurts pretty bad.

1 Like

Out of combat bandages could be useful. And they could give warriors a horribly crappy crossbow, like Geralt :smiley:

2 Likes

I feel as though the dev’s are trying more to focus on team play at the moment, so they probably made the tank not ranged because we have 2 ranged classes already, kind of three if you count musketeers bullets, giving a ranged to a tank with a sword wouldn’t make sense in my opinion as it is a melee style class.

3 Likes

Sure, it’s a melee class. Does that mean that we should have no way to pull a mob?

As @Zachary_R suggested, “a horrible crappy crossbow” would be awesome if, for nothing else, than pulling mobs.

Heck, being able to throw a rock at a mob would be nice. Anything to pull mobs is really needed.

1 Like

Or maybe a knife throw? that would be pretty sweet.

4 Likes

Or how about something like that sword throw we used to have back in the Alpha… without the teleport.

I rather like the idea of Shield Lob, not just as a combat initiator but perhaps also give it some aggro generation to help with keeping wanderers off your healerteer and glassmage.

4 Likes

It would be cool to see combo points like in wow. every successful combo you get a point and you use points to fule finishing damage and defensive moves.

Both these ideas sound great. Maybe a boomerang type shield throw, and a points system kind of like the Ranger gets the “shot globes”.

I like the idea of a shield throw that slows your target.

Might help balance warriors a little more in PVP as well. I’m praying that one day Devs will figure out stun mechanics (i.e. our shield bash) in PVP. Maybe something similar to the vine aberration’s root spell can be used as a stun in PVP settings (roots in place, disables teleporting)

I would not mind the idea of shield bash slowing opponents by 80% in PVP either.

In terms of a combo point system, maybe implement some kind of minor Shield Regen after successfully performing X amount of combos.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

provoke globes like the ranger globes

do a certain amount in succession for some sort of bonus

I remember from another game (maybe LOTRO?) where there were defensive combos as well. Say if you had enough threat, you could do up down left right to restore some shield/hp, rather than needlessly spamming threat skills.

When I started warrior, I thought all the combos were area, since coming from Muskateer where everything (even the poison bullet) was aoe.

1 Like

See this thread. You actually don’t really need much more HP regeneration if you know how to manage your shield and are doing optimal damage while leveling.

Yes a ranged pull would be great.

The complexity of the warrior actually is found when tanking for groups in dungeons I think, as the warrior only really has 2 combos that people use regularly, wound and provoke. And those are both pretty simple.

Warriors have to avoid certain mobs like tigers, healers, poison mobs. Much like how musketeers should avoid healers due to their low DPS. And runemages and rangers usually avoid tigers due to how much damage they have on their overtuned charge attack and swipe attacks.

3 Likes

. . . just add a taunt feature. No need for rocks or anything. You taunt X creature by pressing Y button. You can pinpoint what creature to taunt and voila.

But the walk close enough to the mob trick also works… I don’t see the disadvantage here. Also the sword rush gives extra damage. When the mob is almost at you, you activate your sword rush to deal some damage before you start fighting.